Set the table for a crayfish party
For this you will need:
- Snap-off knife
- Glue gun
Crayfish party hats
- Draw a circle on the reverse of the wallpaper (I used a 27 cm dining plate to do this).
- Cut out the circle and then cut it down the middle to create two identical semicircles. Cut off a further sixth from each semicircle. These are what will become your hats.
- On each piece, join the two outer points to create a cone, adjusting it until you have the shape you want. Use a glue gun to fix it in place.
- Cut off the tips of the hats and attach a little peak made of wallpaper strips, which you can cut exactly how you want.
- To decorate the base of the hat, cut out a long band the length of the hat’s circumference and around 2 cm in height. Make small cuts about 1 cm into the band down its long edge, and then glue it onto the hat with a glue gun.
- Make two small holes at the bottom of the hat and insert string that you can tie under the chin to keep the hat in place.
- The lanterns look best if you make them in different sizes and colours. Get out the wallpapers that you have and cut out a few different rectangular shapes, for example 10 cm x 15 cm, 12 cm x 18 cm, etc.
- To make a lantern with a protruding fold in the middle, fold the cut wallpaper along the middle. You can fold either lengthwise or widthwise; what matters is that the fold goes against, not with, the roll of the wallpaper – otherwise the lantern won’t have the right shape. Take the folded wallpaper and cut from the folded edge until a maximum of 1-2 cm from the edge of the paper.
- Unfold the wallpaper, roll up the uncut edges and attach.
- If you want a round lantern, follow the instructions given above, but instead of folding the wallpaper in half make cuts along the paper, avoiding the very top and bottom edges, as above.
- Finally, cut out a strip to attach to the top of the lantern so you can hang it up.
"If you have any wallpaper left over, you can always use it as a tablecloth!"
Here are the wallpapers that Malin uses in her crafts. It is easy to order wallpaper samples and get crafting yourself!